Monday 17 February 2014

Cinnamon, Flax and Goji berry Porridge

Warming Winter Breakfast 


For breakfast I always like something substantial and filling that will give me energy for the day. Having a bowl of porridge oats in the morning is a great way to start your day because they contain Carbohydrates, which are a macronutrients needed for brain function and energy. Porridge contains complex carbohydrates, which unlike simple carbs, get digested at a much slower rate and will give you lasting energy throughout the day. I've opted for gluten-free oats, these are slightly pricier but I find they leave me feeling much less bloated.

I like to add ground cinnamon to my porridge, not only because I love the taste, but cinnamon also helps to regulate your blood sugar levels and reduce cravings. Finally, I have sprinkled on some ground flaxseed and goji berries. These Superfoods have vast nutritional benefits and also add additional flavour to the mix. 

If (like me) you like your porridge sweet, try adding some Stevia. This is a natural sweetener that will not affect your blood sugar levels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment